Blog » How to give your child a financial head-start in adult life

How to give your child a financial head-start in adult life

March 12, 2019
The details provided in this article are for general information only and are in no way deemed to be financial advice. All of the material is correct as of the publication date, but could be out-of-date by the time you read the article.

If you are like most parents, you’ll want the best things in life for your child. And that could include giving them a financial head start in life, where you can. Yet, with so many options and opinions out there, knowing how to save for your child’s future can be challenging. That’s why we have put together this simple overview of three ways you could start saving for your child today.

Savings type: Bank and building society savings account
When can your child access the savings: Immediately or with a short notice period
Potential for investment growth: Poor
Best for: Short-term savings or teaching saving skills
What you need to know:

  • Generally, from £1 you can open an account for any child under the age of 181. Some accounts require a larger opening sum and regular contributions and in return you could be rewarded with a better interest rate in return.
  • Interest rates on these types of accounts have remained low over recent years.
  • With an instant access account, you or your child (aged 7 and over) can withdraw money at any time. With a regular saver account, you may have to give notice to withdraw money or be tied in for a length of time before being able to access the savings2.
  • Children can receive as much as £18,500 from savings without paying tax3. However, you should be aware of the £100 rule for parents4 whereby savings given to a child by a parent or step-parent is taxed at the parent’s tax rate (basic, higher or additional) if it generates more than £100 a year in interest. Tax treatment depends on your individual circumstances and may be subject to change.

Savings type: Junior Cash ISAs & Junior Stocks and Shares ISAs
When can your child access the savings: From the age of 18
Potential for investment growth: Average
Best for: Medium-term savings, such as university fees or a first car
What you need to know: 

  • A Junior Cash ISA will offer slightly better interest rates than an everyday bank or building society savings account. The big deal is that any interest is tax free.
Woman cuddling child | Saving for your child's future

  • Junior Stocks and Shares ISAs hold more risk. You can buy shares, bonds and other eligible investments on behalf of a child. The return on this investment could be higher than a cash ISA. But if performance is poor, you could end up with less than you put in.
  • For the 2019/20 financial year, your child’s tax-free allowance is £4,368.
  • You can divide your tax-free allowance between a Junior Cash ISA and Stocks and Shares ISA.
  • If your child has a Child Trust Fund, you can transfer this into a Junior ISA.

Savings type: Pension
When can your child access the savings: From the age of 55
Potential for investment growth: Good
Best for: Long-term financial security
What you need to know: 

  • You can contribute up to £3,600 per year inclusive of tax relief.
  • When your child reaches 18, ownership of the pension will transfer to them and they can start making their own contributions.
  • The investment has decades to grow and thanks to compound interest, paying in even a small amount every month could mean a tidy sum for the future.
  • Any growth is not taxed.
  • The value of your investment could go down as well as up.

A regulated financial adviser can help you decide what level of risk you are prepared to take with your child’s savings. Which could mean more for your child when they need it.

1Saving for your children. Money Advice Service
2What is the best way to save for your child?
3Children’s earnings before tax (£12,500 personal allowance + £5,000 starting rate for savings + £1,000 personal savings allowance.)
4Children and income tax. 

Related posts

Thinking about your pension options?

We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct authority. This means we can help you to make the best possible decisions when it comes to your pension.

0800 009 3388
Mon-Fri 9am-5pm


Pension Access is a trading name of Harbour Rock Capital Limited which is registered in England & Wales as a Limited Company, No. 10290349. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, No. 754580. Registered Offices: Affinity House, Beaufort Court, Sir Thomas Longley Road, Rochester, Kent, ME2 4FD. Telephone: 0800 009 3388. Email:
© 2024 Pension Access. All right reserved.
What's in your info pack?
Your FREE information pack contains all the information you need to make an informed decision on wheter or not taking tax free cash from your pension is right for you.
Get your Free Info Pack
Complete the form and we'll send you an information pack in the post
Note: We are unable to advise on the state pension or any pension you are already taking an income from.

    Get your free info pack

    Where should we send your info pack?

    Please complete your details below and we'll send your information pack in the next available post

    Find Your address

    Type in your postcode or start typing your address then select from the drop-down list

    Your address

    We'll post your information pack here

    Keeping in touch

    We'll send you updates by email or text message. One of our specialists may call, just in case you have any questions about your pension. We’re big believers in never bombarding people with calls.

    Safety PadlockYour information is safe with us. Our calls are recorded for regulatory, legal and training requirements. Please see our privacy notice for information on our data practices here


    Hands using calculator to calculate home equity amount