Is there a limit to how much you can contribute to a pension?

Pensions are a great saving tool for retirement, and we are often told to save as much as we can into our pension. So, is there a limit to how much we can contribute?

There isn’t a limit as such to how much you can contribute to your pension, you can save as much as you like. However, there are a few limits to be aware of in relation to tax. These are:

  • Pension annual allowance
  • Money purchase annual allowance
  • Pension lifetime allowance

Being aware of these allowances will help you make the most of tax relief and avoid any charges.

What is the pension annual allowance?

Pension annual allowance is a limit on how much you can pay into your pension each year to receive tax relief. Tax relief is a bonus from the government that you receive when you make contributions to your pension. The government pays you back the income tax that you would have already paid on the money you contribute so that it’s effectively paid tax-free.

The pension annual allowance places a limit on the amount you can pay into your pension each year to receive tax relief. The maximum amount is 100% of your wages or £60,000, whichever is lower. Any contributions you or your employer make as well as the tax relief you receive contributes to this allowance. If you make any contributions over that amount, you will not receive tax relief on that money.

What is Money Purchase Annual Allowance?

Money Purchase Annual Allowance is linked to your pension annual allowance. When you start withdrawing your pension, the first 25% is tax-free. Once you start withdrawing the remaining 75%, your pension is moved into what is called a crystalised fund. At this point, your annual allowance for receiving tax relief on contributions drops down to £10,000. And this is known as Money Purchase Annual Allowance.

How can a financial adviser help?

Both pensions and tax can be complicated by themselves, let alone when you combine the two. A financial adviser can help you understand your pension and how to avoid tax charges. They can also help you manage your pension in the right way to make the most of the tax relief you receive on your contributions.

Share this

Thinking about your pension options?

We can help you make the best possible decisions when it comes to your pensions. We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

The details provided in this article are for general information only and are in no way deemed to be financial advice. All of the material is correct as of the publication date, but could be out-of-date by the time you read the article.
0800 009 3388
Mon-Fri 9am-5pm

Latest

Pension Access is a trading name of Harbour Rock Capital Limited which is registered in England & Wales as a Limited Company, No. 10290349. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, No. 754580. Registered Offices: Affinity House, Beaufort Court, Sir Thomas Longley Road, Rochester, Kent, ME2 4FD. Telephone: 0800 009 3388. Email: pensionaccess@harbourrockcapital.co.uk
© 2024 Pension Access. All right reserved.
What's in your info pack?
Your FREE information pack contains all the information you need to make an informed decision on wheter or not taking tax free cash from your pension is right for you.
Get your Free Info Pack
Complete the form and we'll send you an information pack in the post
Note: We are unable to advise on the state pension or any pension you are already taking an income from.

    Get your free info pack

    Where should we send your info pack?

    Please complete your details below and we'll send your information pack in the next available post

    Find Your address

    Type in your postcode or start typing your address then select from the drop-down list

    Your address

    We'll post your information pack here

    Keeping in touch

    We'll send you updates by email or text message. One of our specialists may call, just in case you have any questions about your pension. We’re big believers in never bombarding people with calls.

    Safety PadlockYour information is safe with us. Our calls are recorded for regulatory, legal and training requirements. Please see our privacy notice for information on our data practices here

    PRIVACY POLICY

    Hands using calculator to calculate home equity amount